December 17, 2006

All Star Sandwich Bar


An exciting idea to bring a bit more variety to the flagging sandwich.

I had something with gruyere in it. Why? Because I always do.

We chose take out, because the place was jumping. Here's problem #1. The open format kitchen is way too big. The customer area is way too small.

We ordered our delicious lunches and waited. A bag appeared with my name on it (Richard), but the flake behind the counter picked it up, and walked over to another guy who had been waiting as long as us.

Confusion!

This guy was not called Richard, but it did not stop him from prodding the contents of our bag. Our intervention fell on deaf ears and a two minute scrum ensued in the (still too big) open air kitchen.

Their stunning organizational plan appears to fall down when two people have the same name, or when a douche bag called Kevin chooses to be Richard for the day so that he can get a sandwich quicker.

The woman behind the counter was hopeless, as was the guy bagging the sandwiches. All you have to do is match the sandwich with the ticket.

Sandwich? Pretty good but not worth the $7 I paid for it.

Result. Not going back.
-------------------------

1 comment:

Frankie Pancakes said...

I was disappointed in the All Star, A quick walk from our home to Inman Sq. as long as the weather is good I was psyched about a sandwich shop. After having dreams of a High-Rise close to home have faded, I tried this place thinking "how can you mess up a sandwich?" Well, it's too expensive and not good. I was a vegetarian at the time and all they had was a falafel sandwich that was so dry it began to wick the moisture from my body. Have not gone back.