November 10, 2007

Magnolia's

Walked down to Magnolia's of Inman Square tonight. They feature Southern-Cajun-Creole food. I think we tried to go one time before but inanely chose a Monday when they are closed.

Our waitress was speedy. Sat down with drinks in no time. Anne went for a New Orleans Dixie brew, and I went Lone Star.

The menu is a good combination of regulars and (I suspect) rotating specials. Our waitress was patient and pleasant. She reminded me of the part of Maggie Gyllenhaal you don't want to punch in the throat.

I started with Alligator and Corn Fritters. They say fritters but to me they were just balls. Does an alligator have balls? In High School I skipped Biology to have extra music lessons - boy do I feel stupid now.

Talking of skipping, Anne skipped the appetizer, and plumped for the Bayou Platter. Blackened Catfish, Alligator Fritters, Frog Legs, Crab Cake and an assortment (!!) of mashed potatoes. And Collard Greens.

I opted for a blackened filet mignon with a Maytag Blue Cheese (I thought they made washing machines) and sweet potato mash.

The clientele was quite old. Strangest item in the place is a wall hung plate of a winking woman that could give a child nightmares.

Our food arrived, and we were pleased. The Frog's Legs were pickled and therefore cold, and Collard Greens are an acquired taste, but overall we liked what we got.

Check was $85 inc. tip.

Walking home we stopped in 1369 our local coffee shop. Anne loves the place - because she hates "the man". I think they're a bunch of trumped-up folk-music-loving, pseudo-liberals, who all probably have trust funds and investment strategies. I'm supposed to be impressed because you drew a leaf on the top of my latte?
-------------------------

No comments: